Saturday, July 14, 2007

I find this interesting

I wrote about this a couple months back and now the 3100 mile race is in progress.

The leader has covered 1906.53 miles in 27 days. I find the race quite interesting. It takes places on a city block in Queens, NY. Yes, that is correct, the course is a city block - over, and over and over again! I first heard about this event about three years ago while listening to a news radio station in Manhattan. Runner's World recently covered this event in one of their ultra running editions.

I thought about why this intrigues me. After all, this race appears odd to most non-runners and is even odd to some regular runners. I think ultra events are great. I have tremendous respect for those that have raced ultra events and Ironman triathlons. These events help our endurance and we go beyond what we thought we were capable of doing. I use the term "we" but I have never registered for an ultra race . I have, however, started visiting the Ultra Running Online website and a few others. Does this mean I will be planning to run in an ultra event anytime soon? Well, maybe not "soon" but I am thinking about the possibilities.

I am looking out the window right now and the weather is perfect. Today I am running and it is a great day!

No comments: