Monday, May 28, 2007

Buffalo Marathon race recap





Official time: 4:37:41 (final chip time) - 477th overall of 637 finishers (gun time)

Overall, this race was a good experience. I woke up at 5am as I needed to pick up my race bib/chip. Temp was a comfortable 63 degrees. Luckily, the hotel was only three blocks from the start line. I had almost a full hour to sit down, relax, and finish my breakfast before heading out the the start. I was at the start line with approx. 10 minutes to go. I was able to get close to the start line with no problem. I was ready to go. I did a few final stretches and then the "3 minutes to go" was announced. The gun went off and we were headed through downtown Buffalo towards Lake Erie.

A summary fo the first 10 miles:

Mile 1 = 8:01
Mile 2 = 8:49
Mile 3 = 8:50
Mile 4 = 9:03
Mile 5 = 8:44
Mile 6 = 8:53
Mile 7 = 9:31
Mile 8 = 9:11
Mile 9 = 9:16
Mile 10 = 9:00

I felt great. The first 10 miles were easy and I tried to slow my pace down but the race atmosphere got the best of me. I definately went out much faster than I wanted to and I think this hurt me later in the race. I think if I went out slower, my time would have been better.

The thunderstorms never arrived and there was just a light rain for approx. 10 minutes. The sun came out by mile 18 and really warmed things up quickly. I finished the race and the temp was 73 degrees. The humidity was high in the morning but I was well hydrated.

My pace definately slowed down later in the race and it was hard to pick things back up. I officially "hit the wall" at mile 22 (which was much better than previous marathons). Early signs of bonking came to me around mile 18 but I kept moving and was able to work through the fatigue. At mile 22 I felt my body shutting down. I was sick to my stomach and made the last stretch very tough. The last mile of the race is always the longest. I did not see the 25 mile marker but I knew I was close. I could hear the announcer over the PA and the crowd at the finish was getting closer. I soon passed the 26 mile marker. What a feeling! This race was in the bag. I picked up my pace and made the final turn towards the finish. I could now see the finish line and I ran as fast as I could through the finish chute. There is nothing better than crossing that line and getting the race medal.

Overall, a great experience and a fun race. I enjoyed running this race and I feel I am in good shape for my upcoming races and then planning for my fall marathon.

Based on this race, I know I have a very good shot at a marathon PR in the fall. It is time for a new marathon PR! I know I am capable and will one day run a sub 4 hour.

That is all for now. Thanks for the comments - I be checking in on your running blog soon.

Happy running and good luck with the races!


BUFFALO MARATHON NEWS LINK: http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/story/85863.html

5 comments:

Travis said...

Great job! It's hard to hold back with all that excitement out there, but each race is a new learning tool. Way to push through when you hit the wall.

Matt said...

Thanks Travis! I agree, each race we learn something that we can work on. It is a blast!

Legs and Wings said...

Matt, congratulations man! It's good to have it in the bag...excellent work pushing through the tough times near the end of the race. All the best with your recovery. Take care.

Mike said...

Congrats Matt- way to push it to the end! Why is it that regardless of how much you train, the last 10K of a mary always HURTS!!

You are right about crossing the line though...it doesn't get much better then that!

Matt said...

Thanks for the comments Robb & Mike! Good to hear from you guys.